Prevention and Intervention Programs for Children and Youth Who Are
Neglected, Delinquent, or At-Risk (N and D)
The Prevention and Intervention Programs for Children and Youth Who Are Neglected, Delinquent, or At-Risk, authorized by Title I, Part D of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (20 USC 6421 et seq.) include two programs, one for State programs and another for local programs:
1. Subpart 1 establishes the State agencies through which ED provides Federal financial assistance to the Mississippi Department of Education (SEA) to enable them to award subgrants to the DeSoto County School District to operate educational programs for children and youth in institutions or community day programs for children who are neglected, delinquent and at-risk and for children and youth in adult correctional facilities.
2. Subpart 2 authorizes ED to award grants to the SEA to enable them to award subgrants to local educational agencies (LEAs) to provide programs that serve children and youth who are in locally operated correctional facilities or are attending community day programs for delinquent children and youth. Additionally, Subpart 2 programs may provide assistance to children and youth who are neglected or at-risk of dropping out of school.
3. Subpart 3 of Part D requires program evaulations using multiple and appropriate evaluation measures to determine the programs’ effects on student
WHAT ARE THE PURPOSES OF THE TITLE I, PART D PROGRAM?
The purposes of Title I, Part D are to:
(1) improve educational services for children and youth in local and State institutions for neglected or delinquent children and youth so that they have the opportunity to meet the same challenging State academic content and State student achievement standards that all children in the State are expected to meet;
(2) provide these children with services to enable them to transition successfully from institutionalization to further schooling or employment; and
(3) prevent at-risk youth from dropping out of school as well as to provide dropouts and children and youth returning from correctional facilities or institutions for neglected or delinquent children and youth, with a support system to ensure their continued education.